Injection molding is a quick and cost-efficient method for producing identical plastic parts. At HLH Proto, we specialize in manufacturing custom molds designed to produce high-quality and precise injection molded parts, enhancing both prototyping and end-use production efficiency. We also recognize the importance of extending their lifespan to maximize your cost savings.
The durability of injection molds is influenced by a variety of factors, including their design, the materials used, and how they are maintained. In this guide, we’ll explore these aspects and provide strategies to help you prolong the life of the molds we create for you.
Understanding injection molds
The mold is one of the most critical aspects of injection molding, as it shapes everything from complex parts to everyday items. Its quality, precision, and tooling process directly impact the quality of injection molded parts. This is why we are meticulous about designing molds and recommend maintaining them.
How to expand the lifespan of injection molds
At HLH Proto, our molds are crafted from premium steel and aluminum, ensuring durability and longevity. These high-grade materials can withstand up to 100,000 cycles or more. Here’s what you can do to make them last even longer:
- Schedule thorough maintenance regularly to clean the molds, perform essential repairs, and monitor for wear and tear.
- Ensure that your injection molding machines operate at ideal temperatures, speeds, and pressures. Maintaining these conditions reduces stress on both the mold and the injection molded parts.
- Apply protective coatings to reduce wear and corrosion.
- Store your molds in a controlled environment where temperature and humidity are carefully managed to prevent degradation and rust.
- Invest in training for your maintenance teams and machine operators. Skilled personnel can extend mold life through proper care and handling.
Do you need more tips? Connect with our experts here at HLH Proto for advice. You can also request a quote for our injection molding service.